Sunday, August 30, 2009

Great Sacred Dance of the Fool

Sacred Dance of the Fool

The Sacred Dance of the Fool

There is only One Beloved
In the wholeness of everything I Am
My fool heart dances in that knowing
My fool heart dances in that knowing

And my life becomes alive and animated
in a storm that rages all around
In Him there is no sound
In Him there is no sound

Then the world attempts to give me safety
To lean on crutches made of something
In Him there is a grander Nothing
In Him there is a grander Nothing

All around me are the lure of treasures
Made of earth in sweet decay
In Him there is a new sun rising
In Him there is a new sun rising

I play the game of hide and seek
Bury my head and come up for air
In Him I know He’s always there
In Him I know He’s always there

And how far away my dances take me
Until weary boned I feel alone
In Him I know that I Am Home
In Him I know that I Am Home

Ganga Fondan, 2009

Jotting down the beginnings of a poem in a coffee shop today I think about how we get so caught up in our chosen dramas until life gives us a little shake and reminds us that we are shooting a great movie here and will be asked to leave the stage at some point. The Great Beloved Creator draws all things back to One.

Reviewing the inventory of choices that have been on my plate lately I still marvel at how many times I get caught up in the heated dance of the external circumstances. In Chapter 10 of "Ancient Secrets of Success for Today's World", (A book of principles which my whole heart is determined to master this lifetime) my Teacher explains that by constantly looking back towards the cause which created a circumstance we find the reason. He draws a circle and shows how we tend to focus on the outline of the circle (circumstances) and forget that there is an Invisible centre that is radiating the entire circle we see. By diving into the centre of our thoughts we find the clue to changing the external circumstances around us. He writes:

"The relative must have an Absolute. Without an Absolute you cannot have a relative. There cannot be an outside without an Inside and there cannot be an Inside without an outside. We live all the time in two worlds, the Visible and the In-Visible. The visible is the effect and the In-Visible is the cause. The In-Visible is the Thought and the visible is the thing."

That sounds so simple. Just focus on the thought you want to have. Yet, how many times does the mind make decisions based on the exisitng bank account, job security, past experience and "whamooooo".... the decision to reach beyond our present physical means is rejected. The circumference keeps us trapped and we recreate our limitations over and over. I know this scenario all too well. It stares me in the face very often. I suddenly see the "great sacred dance of the fool" in this process. Reaching back to the Absolute or "Beloved" is my focus as I scribble some notes into my notebook:

"My circumstances do not make me.
My thoughts make me and my circumstances.
Where is my thought coming from?
Where is my thought coming from?
Where is my thought coming from?
Consciousness?
Cirumstances?
Consciousness?
Circumstances?"

When I was a little girl, I believed that God was this older white-haired kind of ghostly man figure that was everywhere all the time and He loved everybody. As I got older, somehow I began to believe that I had to do an awful lot to please that God so that I wouldn't be punished and sent to who knows where. I believed that He was compassionate but he also had alot of rage when He felt displeased. Over the years I realized how I had projected such human qualities into a deity. I did not realize that my perception of the Almighty was so limited and puny. Who am I to say I know That which created me? It is beyond the brain. How can the mind quantify and qualify beyond time and space and beyond every possible limitation? Yet I experience such reverence and love for That which created me and still continues to guide me in thought, word and deed.

This loving and mysterious "Limitlessness" becomes the center of my circle. The place where songs and poetry and romance come from. The mind needs training to remain vigilent and to not get lost in the circumference of life. I return to my tools of meditation and visioning again and again. I remember that every thought is a seed like an acorn already containing an oak tree. My Teacher says:

"Every thought is alive with the thing it manifests."

Looking around the coffee shop I see many dramas of life being discussed. Animated conversations of students, divorcees, grandmothers and business men create a single wave of flowing sound. This is the sound of the fool who comes here to dance and experiment, to discover and lose, to unfold and find the truth of life again. I look around me and think of Narayan. When he left this world, both his passport and driver's license remained in his sock drawer in our apartment. I would look at it and laugh sometimes because these cannot possibly explain who he was or is. Yet clearly there is a name and a date of birth and a handsome picture of a face on this earthly identification. I still haven't tossed them out because I choose to play the role of his beloved and our life here was such a part of the wonder of our togetherness. I still choose the sacred dance that knows we love each other forever.

I choose to dive deeper and deeper into myself. I want to master the principles of living a powerful and abundant life. It requires daily practice. I remind myself again and again of my Teacher's words:

"If your dream seems achievable then it is not a Vision but a to-do list".

It's ok to be a dancing fool. The Love that made me has a great sense of humor.

Ganga

No comments: