Sunday, April 15, 2012

His Song Will Always Return Home:

Feel the Enduring Promise In the “Song of Shiva”:


Sometimes a song builds a whole world
In a room where everything disappears
A new layer of Creation rises from No-Thing
Where every thing feels real
Shiva appears and touches the forehead
Arouses the faculty of Imagination
In the Great Temple of Peace
The song now expands and rolls like the sea
Drops of liquid music gently pour 
Soaked with the opulence of Immortality
The beginning and end are one
Beyond past
Beyond present
Beyond future
The Great Silence prevails 
Until Shiva touches the forehead again
Returning once more to the ancient Temple
The mind thinks:
“Please don’t let this feeling end”
As Shiva slowly fades into the shadows
Into the familiarity of the apartment 
The heart softly assures :
“His song will always return Home”

© Ganga Fondan, 2012

Journal Entry: April 15, 2012

Whenever I go to visit a particular park in my neighborhood, the walk in always seems so much more ordinary than the walk out of the park. Yesterday was no exception. Although the trees and shrubs are all nearly fully green on my street, the ones in the park were just beginning to change color. Many trees had been cut down and the whole walk seemed so grey and dead at first. Then suddenly I spotted a patch of Skunk Cabbage in a clearing on the left. I leaned over the wooden railing and stared down into the delightful green hue. Yes there was life and celebration in this park. Walking onward I noticed more and more of these green patches and finally in the distance heard the rushing of the stream nearby. Suddenly I looked up to see the first tiny buds on a tree leaning over the wooden walkway. These trees were definitely ready to burst into the new season again. Finally reaching the stream, I leapt onto a large rock in the middle of the water and sat down. After a long silence, I felt the urge to quietly hum a melody that rose within me. There in that stream, with a soft breeze against my face, I could feel Spring itself singing the secrets of nature to me.
Later at home, my thoughts turned to the Hindu God, Shiva. He embodies destruction and renewal. He is the third aspect of life which follows Creation and Preservation. Shiva has always unnerved me a bit because the idea of change has at times frightened me. I often like things to stay the same for a long time. Something in me lately has embraced the idea of change whole-heartedly. It feels easier to invoke new ideas and possibilities. Perhaps Shiva has done His work with me and I feel this renewal now. Perhaps like that beautiful park, my life is ready to dive into an audacious Spring. Lightness of Being envelops me until bursting with songs and artwork my path opens up to show me the way again. Peace shows me the way.


"One day we must come to see that peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek but a means by which we arrive at that goal." - Martin Luther King 









No comments: