Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Reaching Deeper Into the Garden of Gethsemane"

Celebrate What Lies Beneath our own Garden of Gethsemane

"I saw the Storm and ice covered land
I saw the frozen trees so silent
I saw the blackness of their branches
under the unforgiving snow
Down down into the earth i went
Deeper and darker places surrounded me
Until the colors came
Until the swirling shapes danced around me
There the roots of life drew forth from a greater Life
This is the place of the Great Dream
Where the Garden ever pulsates
From this place the roots draw forth and sustain entire worlds
The seasons draw from on eternal Spring
changing the shapes of Infinity over and over again
Ganga Fondan, 2010

Unedited from a journal entry written after meditating on the "Four Eternal Principles". Focusing on the meaning of those journaled words came this artwork on digital canvas. It reminds me of how everything we touch, taste, smell, see, feel, hear....is connected to a greater Source beyond the senses and immerses us in a grander experience each time we are courageous enough to let go of all the small ways we know ourselves.

It was such a vivid unfolding worth recording. Beneath the cold and snow covered earth, there is always an ocean of swirling colors and shapes just aching to burst through the dark surface and renew the world again and again. The word "Infinity" itself is worth meditating on again and again and again. Somehow in the rational side of ourselves we need to measure and quantify the beauty and pain in our lives. We forget that, like the seasons we evolve in the most profound ways. In the pain of a seed bursting open grows a most wonderful tree. When the tree withers and dies, there is a renewal again in the earth as the essence of life plays again and again into new shapes and forms.

Sitting there in the basement of my parent's home on such a cold wintry day in Alberta, I listened to "Consciousness Rising". My mind felt a bit agitated at the beginning so I let go and floated into the strings of the Tamboura and let my body become as light as the flute sound that called out to me. This time I did not listen to the Teacher's words exactly but let them wash over me. Then the vision of the poem began and a rush of wonder went through my body. I scribbled out the words that came with the images.

This whole experience is symbolic of my visit out West. I see my life deeper, richer, brighter and more meaningful than I did as a young girl growing up. Beneath those stormy years were roots digging deep into the earth and drinking from places I did not yet realize.

All I can say now is that I trust in those roots and in the place they draw from. My life evolves like that Great Garden into many more wondrous shapes, colors and experiences. A place where everything is still possible.

2 comments:

Ann Christine Dennison said...

Beautiful artwork and touching words while I am in the throes of a very cold and snowy winter.

Susan Williamson said...

Luscious visually, verbally and spiritually. I loved what you said about letting your teacher's words wash over you. Sometimes we listen too much. By this I mean that we listen specifically instead of universally. xxxS